Motor Vehicle Service and Repair Act (Excerpt)

Act 300 of 1974

IF YOU HAVE HAD YOUR VEHICLE REPAIRED BY AN UNLICENSED SHOP, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A FULL REFUND PURSUANT TO STATE LAW. A “Licensed by the State” technician DOES NOT mean that they are licensed by the State as a REPAIR FACILITY and under section 257.1331 (below) you are entitled to a complete refund including labor AND parts if purchased (if the individual repairing your car is buying the parts)

257.1331 Acts or practices barring action on contract, action for collection of compensation, or assertion of lien; recovery of amount paid unregistered facility.
Sec. 31.

A person who engages or attempts to engage in the business or trade of a motor vehicle repair facility or specialty or master mechanic without a registration or certificate, or engages in an act or practice in violation of this act or a rule is barred from bringing or maintaining an action at law or equity on a contract or for the collection of compensation for work performed or materials or parts provided to any other person. In addition, the person is barred from asserting a mechanic’s, garageman’s, or similar lien upon a motor vehicle, including the repossession of a motor vehicle. A customer is entitled to recover any amount paid to an unregistered facility for the repair of a motor vehicle belonging to that customer.

History: 1974, Act 300, Eff. Apr. 1, 1975

Go to this link to see if the repair facility you are using is licensed

If you have any problems, please call the Bureau of Regulatory Services at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424)

Brought to you by the Automotive Service Association of Michigan … visit our consumer website at
NOTE: ALL Member shops HAVE BEEN VALIDATED by the Association as being registered with the State of Michigan